Summer Music Instructor
The MusicianShip uses music to alter the life trajectory of youth, thereby creating a more vibrant, educated, empowered, and well-intentioned world. We offer a range of programs for our students, designed to further develop them as musicians and public citizens. Our programs include an After-School Program (Marching Band, Choir), Ambassador Program (Clinics, Online Education), a Music Lesson Matchmaking Program, and a Summer Program (Marching Band, Choir, Music Business, and Music Media). Reporting to the Program Manager, the Instructor will work directly with The MusicianShip’s youth participants as both an educator and a mentor.
Instructors will be responsible for teaching and mentoring students, in accordance with The MusicianShip’s curriculum and organizational goals. As a member of the Instructor team, the Instructor works within the guidelines, policies, and mission of the organization, and will be accountable and responsible for specific projects as requested.
Work Environment & Operations
The MusicianShip operates virtually without a central office. However, our programs operate in various schools and community centers throughout Washington D.C. The position may require up to 50% virtual work and 50% travel to assigned program sites, trainings, outreach activities, supply pick-up, etc. This position prohibits the transporting of program participants in personal vehicles. Approved mileage and expense reimbursements are available with appropriate documentation. Company communication is executed mostly through email and teleconference. This part time position requires up to 12 hours per week with availability on weekdays in the afternoon and evenings along with some weekends.
Duties & Deliverables
The Summer Instructor perform a narrow range of duties, including the following:Planning
- Plan the delivery of program sessions and activities in accordance with the mission and the goals of the organization, by attending regularly scheduled meetings with the Program Manager to review and execute Program Plans
- Deliver lessons and curricula, in accordance with the Program Plan, by providing direction, input, and feedback, ensuring that students learn their material*
- Conduct student adjudications, in accordance with the Program Plan by assessing students’ baseline and cumulative data over time
- Monitor and enhance student engagement and, when necessary, student behavior
- Engage with parents, school staff, volunteer tutors and other key stakeholders to support youth
*Material – Songs, Lessons, Speaking Parts, Methods, Principles, Techniques
- Collect and submit student attendance records
- Assist program administrators in completing program surveys and assessments
- Identify and report findings on Partner Sites’ program compliance, by critically observing, listening, and assessing the program environment and subsequently sharing the site’s strengths and weaknesses with the Program Manager
- Communicate performance, collaboration, marketing, and funding opportunities, by listening actively and reporting findings to the Program Manager and Director of Programs, as often as necessary
- Identify and report issues, including but not limited to, those concerning Instructors, volunteers, partners, students, and families that are, or can potentially be, detrimental to the program’s success or the overall organization, by communicating with the Director of Programs
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Minimum of 1 year experience engaging, instructing, and/or supervising urban youth in a community or school setting in woodwinds, percussion, brass, and choir.
- Demonstrated knowledge of issues/vocation related to one or more program areas
- Choir instructor should be proficient in piano to accompany the choir but it is not required.
Proficiency in the use of computers for:
- Word processing
- Simple budgeting
- Virtual conferences
Universal Staff + Consultant Requirements
All MusicianShip staffers and consultants are required and expected to:
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and organizational practices, and ensure that own behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Create/Innovate: Develop new and unique ways to improve operations of the organization and to create new opportunities.
- Focus on stakeholder Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external stakeholders to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
- Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Lead: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
- Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
- Flexible work schedule
- Creative and fulfilling work
- Innovative virtual office enviornment
- Excellent for college students and retirees